Passing boot logs to Linux?

Dragan Simic dsimic at manjaro.org
Thu Dec 21 02:44:54 CET 2023

On 2023-12-21 02:37, Dragan Simic wrote:
> On 2023-12-21 02:03, Daniel Golle wrote:
>>>
>>> I see, but I also wonder how many such OpenWrt routers are still used
>>> these
>>> days, and, even more importantly, how many of them are regularly
>>> updated and
>>> can be expected to actually use this new feature?
>>
>> Avoid flash writes is a very important matter, even on systems with
>> 128 MiB of SPI-NAND flash which is by far the most common setup you
>> find on off-the-shelf plastic routers and access points nowadays.
>
> I agree, writing something to the SPI chips all the time, no matter
> how small the writes are, is a big no-no, which I already clearly
> expressed in one of my earlier posts.
>
>> Especially also as those devices often come without a local console,
>> having U-Boot's output prepended to dmesg on boot would be a very big
>> win.
>
> I was also thinking about that, but I'm not sure it would be accepted
> to the Linux kernel.  Maybe we can try getting that accepted later.
>
>>> Please, don't get me wrong, I still support having both options
>>> available,
>>> but I'm also wondering about the target demographic.

>>> That's a good point, but having a read-only root filesystem usually
>>> also
>>> means having a non-operational system that can only have its stored
>>> data
>>> salvaged.  Unless the system is specifically crafted to survive such
>>> scenarios, of course.
>>
>> ... which holds true for any decent embedded OS, which at least allows
>> limited remote access and some kind of recovery even in this
>> situation.
>
> Perhaps.  I'm more into running general-purpose Linux distributions on
> single-board computers and derived embedded devices, which are on the
> "thick" end of the embedded device spectrum, so to speak.

>>> Using pstore should have that unloading already covered, and the
>>> already
>>> existing systemd service is there to perform the archiving to the
>>> primary
>>> filesystem, if desired so.  It would all need to be tested in detail,
>>> of
>>> course.
>>
>> pstore/ramoops uses a statically assigned reserved memory region, so
>> in
>> the moment you want to use that feature you loose that amount of RAM
>> (a
>> few kB, so it doesn't really matter on modern systems).
>> As in: there is *no* dynamic allocation.
>>
>> Imho using pstore/ramoops (which is a more or less Linux-specific
>> debugging feature, meant to store one or more timestamped logs of
>> crashes) might not be the most suitable choice. I understand the
>> advantages of using existing infrastructure, but on the other hand
>> we don't need most of the complexity of pstore for the task.
>
> Hmm, let me research all that a bit more in the next couple of days,
> please, and I'll come back with a detailed insight.

> [...]

Sorry, I forgot this...

As I already explained in one of my earlier posts, not all devices and
applications would benefit from having only "in-flight" console data
available, i.e. made available through a reserved region of the RAM.
Some devices actually need to have the recorded console outputs stored
on their eMMC chips or microSD cards, for post-mortem analysis of the
boot issues.

That's why we actually need both options available, and that's also why
pstore should fit well, even if it may seem as an overkill.  I hope you
agree;  however, I'll do more research, as already promised.