Proposal: U-Boot memory management

Ilias Apalodimas ilias.apalodimas at linaro.org
Fri Dec 22 13:02:07 CET 2023

Hi Simon

I'll respond to the rest more thoroughly but I since I caught this early,

[...]

> 5. Avoid calling efi_allocate_pages() and efi_allocate_pool() outside
> boot-time services. This solves the problem 6. If memory is needed by
> an app, allocate it with malloc() and see 3. There are only two
> efi_allocate_pages() (smbios and efi_runtime). There are more calls of
> efi_allocate_pool(), but most of these seem easy to fix up. For
> example, efi_init_event_log() allocates a buffer, but this can be
> allocated in normal malloc() space or in a bloblist.

The TCG event log is only valid in the EFI world and is described by
the EFI spec extensions [0]. I prefer it to remain as is

> 6. Don't worry too much about whether EFI will be used for booting.
> The cost is likely not that great: use bootstage to measure it as is
> done for driver model. Try to minmise the cost of its tables,
> particularly for execution time, but otherwise just rely on the
> ability to disable EFI_LOADER.
>

> Regards,
> Simon

[0] https://trustedcomputinggroup.org/wp-content/uploads/EFI-Protocol-Specification-rev13-160330final.pdf