I'm looking for the source code of a specific u-boot version.

Mario Marietto marietto2008 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 21:06:32 CET 2023

Hello.

I'm trying to boot FreeBSD for arm32 bit as DomU on my ARM Chromebook
SNOW with xen. Basically there are two ways to accomplish this task :

1) to write a patch that allows the FreeBSD kernel to boot as a zImage
file. This could be accomplished applying this patch to a specific
file that's on the source code of FreeBSD :

https://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=p...8;hb=0782e25d98cc1391472717035f986c979edef0c9

This patch was written by Julien Grall a lot of time ago and now it
does not work anymore. This is the reason explain by the xen
developers :

It appears FreeBSD-CURRENT removed the last step converting the kernel
file to kernel.bin.The patch can be readily rebased, but without
kernel.bin that doesn't do too much.

So,without a rebase of that patch the first option is not applicable.
And I'm not able to fix it.

2) booting FreeBSD using U-Boot,as explained to me by a xen developer :

I was trying to explain why and how Julien's patch works so that you
could be the one to re-do something similar or fix the patch on the
FreeBSD kernel that you are working with. I am happy to help review
and write patches but I don't work with the FreeBSD kernel so I
wouldn't be able to help you quickly. However, I might have a
suggestion. Do you know if FreeBSD can be booted by U-Boot ? Because
U-Boot definitely boots as Xen on ARM guest firmware/bootloader. You
should be able to build U-Boot and use the U-Boot binary as Xen guest
kernel, then U-Boot could load FreeBSD from disk or network and start
it. For instance as domU config file:

kernel="/home/petalinux/u-boot.bin"
disk = [ '/home/petalinux/test.img,raw,xvda' ]

Actually I'm working on the idea n. 2. Basically I need to find the
proper u-boot file that's able to boot the image of FreeBSD that I
have installed (13.2 for arm32 bit). Maybe I found it here :

http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromeos-localmirror/distfiles/nv_uboot-snow-simplefb.kpart.bz2

I found that link inside this tutorial :

https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm/Chromebook

the version of u-boot that has been embedded in that file is the following one :

# strings nv_uboot-snow-simplefb.kpart | grep U-Boot
U-Boot 2011.12-gc1f6280 (May 27 2013 - 15:06:59) for SMDK5250

So the question is easy : I need to find the source code of that old
version of u-boot,because once compiled,it will give me the proper
u-boot.bin kernel / bootloader file that maybe will be able to boot
FreeBSD.

--
Mario.