Regression: i.MX6ULL reset not working

Francesco Dolcini francesco at dolcini.it
Thu Dec 28 17:07:43 CET 2023

On Thu, Dec 28, 2023 at 04:49:33PM +0100, Francesco Dolcini wrote:
> Hello Marek and all,
> I just tried latest master on colibri-imx6ull-emmc and the reset command
> is broken - it does nothing.
>
> >From a bisect the issue was introduced with commit 68dcbdd594d4 ("ARM:
> imx: Add weak default reset_cpu()"), U-Boot releases >= v2023.07 are
> broken.
>
> Any hint? I did not try to debug it myself (yet?).

Ok, the reason for the bug is simple.

Before that change we had drivers/watchdog/imx_watchdog.c:reset_cpu()
implementing the reset. However that function is also weak and now the
newly defined and empty weak is taking precedence.

I assume every i.MX that is not i.MX8M* or i.MX7ULP is now broken, not
just i.MX6ULL nor just the colibri.

Francesco