Proposal: U-Boot memory management

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Sun Dec 31 14:53:57 CET 2023

On Sun, Dec 31, 2023 at 05:48:23AM -0700, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi,

> > > In order to keep the existing interfaces we need lmb to keep track of
> > > (at least ) three different states.  I think of those as "free",
> > > "allocated" and "reserved".  The load command would "reserve" memory
> > > insteaf "allocate".  And it would pass a flag to lmb when reserving
> > > memory to indicate that reserving memory that is already reserved is
> > > ok.  Both "reserved" and "allocated" memory should show up as not free
> > > in the EFI memory map (probably as EfiLoaderData).
> >
> > Yes, something like this is what I was getting at, thanks.
>
> Yes, that is a good way of putting it. There is definitely a distinction there.
>
> If we don't want this flag, we could make U-Boot always do a
> reservation on load, with a '-f' command to force loading over an
> existing reservation / releasing it first?

Again, this is an API change and I don't want to change the API.

> I'm not sure if we still want the proposed lmb command? Perhaps it is
> not needed.

Please lets not call it "lmb" because the current lmb isn't what we want
anymore and it's otherwise probably leading to some of the confusion.
The kernel evolved it to memblocks, so perhaps that terminology too
here. And yes, a command for if nothing else debug / investigation would
be good.

--
Tom