Pull request for efi-2023-04-rc3-2

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Fri Feb 24 16:15:55 CET 2023

On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 04:52:06PM +0200, Ilias Apalodimas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just to put some context
>
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 at 16:44, Heinrich Schuchardt
> <heinrich.schuchardt at canonical.com> wrote:

> > > This is a fix.

> > > This I think counts as a fix, but I'm a little confused about allocate
> > > in this context. Can you point me at the patch please?
>
> https://source.denx.de/u-boot/custodians/u-boot-efi/-/commit/0bb5d6b1e4105ec4215239958830a396658bfed8
>
> The TL;DR is that we were placing the DT on 127mb.  This might
> overwrite previously loaded binaries. The efi-stub of the linux kernel
> doesn't use the DTB in place.  Instead, it copies it and adds some
> nodes for the efi-stub -> kernel proper handover (e.g a kaslr-seed).
> So we as far as linux is concerned we are free to place the DT
> wherever we want.
>
> Unless people from risc-v want this in *now*, we are better of landing
> this in -next.

Ah, thanks.  So the sinking feeling that I had that we had duplicated
the complex logic of "where _IS_ a safe place in memory to put things"
was done again, but without being configurable, was right.  Sigh.  I
don't have an idea on here's how we solve it, but I do worry we're going
to have, once again, some of the overlap and silent corruption problems
of old.  But maybe not this time, since we're finally getting payloads
that we can determine the BSS of, etc.

> This can wait.  This fixes one minor issue on the SystemReady Security
> extensions test suite. This is a test suite (mostly running as EFI
> apps) from Arm to check conformance for UEFI Secure Boot and Measured
> boot.

Ah, OK.

--
Tom