Applying DTB Overlays from ATF on RZ/G2

Adam Ford aford173 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 13:01:17 CET 2023

On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 5:55 PM Marek Vasut <marex at denx.de> wrote:

> On 1/5/23 00:48, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:

> >> Opps, that was a copy-paste error.  Even with that, I still get the
> >> failure to overlay:
> >>

> > Did you load a .dtbo file to apply? You cannot apply a devicetree.
> >
> > Is the fdt that you want to apply the overlay to built with symbols (dtc parameter -@)?
>
> Note that the fragment passed to U-Boot by upstream ATF is already
> automatically merged into the U-Boot control DT (see
> board/renesas/rcar-common/common.c ) . U-Boot should pass that on to
> Linux automatically.

I ran some tests, and it appears the function fdtdec_board_setup is
never getting called.  That looks like the code that grabs the blob
from ATF.  I intentionally removed the memory nodes from the kernel
device tree expecting the memory nodes to get added from ATF, but when
I booted it, it promptly hung.  That implied to me that the memory
nodes didn't get added from ATF.

I added some debug code and noticed that ft_board_setup did not get
executed, so I created a call to fdtdec_board_setup from
ft_board_setup and my board booted just fine.  I am curious to know if
other rcar/rzg2 boards are seeing something similar?  Is calling
fdtdec_board_setup from ft_board_setup appropriate?

adam