F2-NAS2 and NSA325 contributions

Tony Dinh mibodhi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 06:20:09 CEST 2023

Hi Henry,

On Thu, Jun 29, 2023 at 7:52 PM Henry Smith <henrybsee at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh hello!
>
> Nice to hear from the person I wanted to contact. I based my work on
> your fork of the marvell repo.
> My priority is to get the new device into the tree so I don't lose it
> and other people can benefit. Please proceed at your own pace.
> Whatever you contributed to 2023 can be considered at a later time.
>
> I have a branch that compiles and boots on F2-NAS2 from TerraMaster.
> Powering the thing off, wakeup on a schedule and RTC is implemented
> through an extra uC, on/off button is not connected to the SoC I
> think.

On the NSA325, the Power button is connected to gpio1 14 (mpp 46). It
sounds like the F2-NAS2 is using the UART1 port for that purpose
instead. I came across a few boards like that.

> This uC is most likely connected to SoC via UART1 and receives
> commands from a small daemon controlled by a tiny client program. I
> wanted to make sure this is not something that would prevent you from
> accepting a new board.
> It does turn on. Pressing the power button when the device is on shuts
> the power off after 5-10s. Time is never set either so I used ntp. Now

Don't know about the F2-NAS2 , but the NSA325 has RTC (PCF8563 chip),
and it is already supported by current u-boot.

> I see u-boot supports that as well but unsure if that would somehow
> get passed to the kernel with no real RTC. For these things to work,
> the serial commands would have to get deciphered and implemented in
> u-boot itself or the OS like it is in TOS from the vendor. I can try
> to do it or disassemble at a later time.

If there is no RTC on the F2-NAS2, you can use CONFIG_RTC_EMULATION
and CONFIG_CMD_SNTP. But rootfs will need fake-hwclock anyway..

All the best,
Tony