Aw: Re: Re: distro_boot vs. env-based bootmenu

Frank Wunderlich frank-w at public-files.de
Fri Jun 30 19:51:48 CEST 2023

Hi Jonas

sorry for the delay. i came back to this and tried your way. Thx for your information...there is no real example in the docs (or i didn't found it) for manual trigger the extlinux-boot, so your information helps a lot.

> Gesendet: Sonntag, 30. April 2023 um 19:40 Uhr
> Von: "Jonas Karlman" <jonas at kwiboo.se>
> An: "Frank Wunderlich" <frank-w at public-files.de>, "Simon Glass" <sjg at chromium.org>
> Betreff: Re: Aw: Re: distro_boot vs. env-based bootmenu
>
> Hi Frank,
>
> On 2023-04-30 15:25, Frank Wunderlich wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I tried to find out why distroboot is enabled (i have not set it in my defconfig) and i think this is why:
> >
> >   │ Symbol: DISTRO_DEFAULTS [=y]                                            │
> >   │ Type  : bool                                                            │
> >   │ Prompt: Select defaults suitable for booting general purpose Linux dist │
> >   │   Location:                                                             │
> >   │ (3) -> Boot options                                                     │
> >   │   Defined at boot/Kconfig:833                                           │
> >   │   Selects: BOOT_DEFAULTS [=y] && AUTO_COMPLETE [=y] && CMDLINE_EDITING  │
> >   │   Implied by [y]:                                                       │
> >   │   - ARCH_ROCKCHIP [=y] && <choice> && !ROCKCHIP_RK3399 [=n]
> >
> > as far as i see you've got a response from Jonas about this option and he changed Kconfig file to BOOTSTD_DEFAULTS
> >
> > as i have not used BOOTSTD_DEFAULTS before, what needs to be changed to have it working?
>
> Please update to latest master branch, rk356x is not fully working
> with v2023.04 or earlier, especially BOOTSTD without extra CONFIGs.
>
> With latest master branch CONFIG_BOOTSTD_DEFAULTS=y should be set by
> default for all ARCH_ROCKCHIP. And should work very similar to if you
> used to have "run distro_bootcmd" as your bootcmd.

As i use builtin-environment there is no distro_bootcmd which i can run.

> It is still unclear what script/bootcmd you are trying to use, or if
> you used to have "run distro_bootcmd" as a fallback. Replacing
> "run distro_bootcmd" with "bootflow scan -lb" or "bootflow scan"
> could work as such fallback option.

but with "bootflow scan -lb" it works except 1 thing: old bootchain looked in config directory for the files (kernel+fdt) whereas new way looks in root of partition and now needs additional extlinux prefix.

and yes i want distroboot as fallback...

is there a way to avoid this to hold the file compatible?

why i use the environment bootmenu? i do a bit more in the menuitems (and before) e.g. loading a uEnv.txt to override some options
and for testing. have bootargs only defined once, have testkernels with initrd and some special stuff with asking for user input
(list kernels from mmc/tftp/... and let user choose which kernel/fdt/initrd/...). Such things are imho not possible with extlinux
way.

currently only bpi-r2pro uses extlinux boot and the other 3 boards using the builtin environment bootmenu. So to keep all boards nearly same i want to have the same for r2pro but allow users with extlinux still using this.

> > basicly my Plan is to script the bootup via env in script with a bootmenu (default entry + additional ones which can be
> > changed by an env.txt file), but i do not want to break existing setups (using extlinux/*.conf behaviour) and no additional
> > bootmenu-entries.
>
> The "distro" bootmeth described at the documentation you linked to will
> looks for a file called extlinux/extlinux.conf.
>
> Is there a special reason why you need to use a custom bootmenu script
> and are moving from distro-boot (extlinux-config files)?
>

> > is there any documentation describing the "Standard boot"?
> >
> > i found this, but it looks like the "old" distro-boot...or is is same from users PoV?
> >
> > https://u-boot.readthedocs.io/en/latest/develop/bootstd.html
>
> This is the documentation for standard boot.
>
> I recommend you try out the commands bootdev, bootflow and bootmeth with
> CONFIG_BOOTSTD_FULL=y to get a better handling on how it would work on
> your device and how you can use them in your script.
>
> Regards,
> Jonas

regards Frank