u-boot crashes if mass-storage devices are connected via USB-C

bluetail a-development+asahi at posteo.de
Wed Mar 1 14:38:34 CET 2023

Hello. user kettenis aka "Mark Kettenis" guided me write my bug report
to this email. "bluetail: please report these usb bugs upstream; they're
almost certainly not hardware-specific"

But before, jannau aka Janne Grunau asked me to give the version output
of  `pacman -Qi uboot-asahi` to which I replied 2022.10.asahi1-1.
Because I had the feeling that sometimes the reboot with a USB-C
connected device succeeds, depending how many bays are populated. But I
have no evidence for that.
I did try other USB Type C Cables, but without success of fixing the
underlying issue. The device works fine via USB Type A or C fine if
plugged in AFTER u-boot.
But, u-boot does not support USB Type A yet, which is why it wont break
my boot sequence with USB Type A.

Essentially, I connect a mass-storage device to the USB-C port of a Mac
Mini 2020 (M1), and it leads to the issue in the attachment.
I was able to reproduce it with Icy Box IB-3810 and ICY BOX IB-3805.
Initially I thought this issue was only for some devices (also attached
here) https://github.com/AsahiLinux/u-boot/issues/4 but it appears this
might be a issue that is with many devices.

If you need any more information, please feel free to ask. I am very
eager to have this issue fixed because it seems to be a very broad issue
with mass media storage in general.
uname-r returns 6.1.0-asahi-2-2-edge-ARCH

Best regards,
bluetail
--
aka zDEFz