[v4 0/7] Fix Rockchip RK3399 bootstd migration

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Wed Mar 29 16:54:01 CEST 2023

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 06:50:41PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 5:02 AM Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Tom,
> >
> > On Sat, 25 Mar 2023 at 09:58, Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > I took a look at Simon's v3 series to fix the rk3399 bootstd migration,
> > > and it changed too much for everything else. I took about half of that
> > > series and then reworked a few things. Now only rk3399 platforms change
> > > at all and aside from bootcmd changes, the only thing is they now
> > > disable true/test/sysboot/showvar/false/exit commands as those were
> > > being pulled in from distro and now we don't set that flag. I think the
> > > way I changed how we enable BOOTSTD_DEFAULTS should make it easier to
> > > perform more SoC migrations.
> >
> > Thanks for digging into this. I haven't seen any comments on the rpi
> > conversion, so perhaps people could test that?
>
> I was planning on looking at that once 2023.04 was out but TBH I have
> wasted so much time over the last few cycles dealing with regressions
> through a bunch of these series that I now have so little time for
> enhancements I now shy away. I know a lot of these series should
> improve things in the future but they don't feel like when there's
> unnecessary changes for things that are clearly untested.

I too am unhappy with how some of these have gone. The _intent_ here is
that getting the current "boot generic distro" framework is complex /
error prone, and we can do better. Unfortunately the first set of
platforms to switch to this are Rockchip and I think there was overlap
there with platforms that got broken at the end of the v2023.01 cycle to
fix other platforms, and then those sets of platforms flipped early in
v2023.04 and took until -rc2? to get resolved.  Which was less than
ideal.

> There's also a lot of change for changes sake, for example the
> rockchips ATF binaries needed is called bl31.elf by the default output
> of the ATF build process, for others it's bl31.bin, binman for what
> ever reason has changed that to be atf-bl31, now I have to change the
> entire build process to be able to work out what is what on a board by
> board basis to be able to set the required variable to be able to
> specify the ATF where  previously it "just worked (tm)"..... I suppose
> there is some perceived goal and improvement here but with both my
> "U-Boot device maintainer" and "distro maintainer" hats on, both of
> which I do in my own spare time, I currently fail to see it and I end
> up.

I wish I knew where to talk to with ATF / TF-A to get some agreed upon
naming scheme going as one of the things that is very frustrating is
getting the names and combinations of everything else that's required
Just Right for every chip. And feedback that things aren't working is
appreciated, since we do need to make things easier.

--
Tom