[External] - Re: Issues with bcm2835-host: let firmware manage the clock divisor

Vincent Fazio vfazio at xes-inc.com
Mon May 15 14:10:47 CEST 2023

All

To be fair, I never tested with a linux kernel that was _not_ the RPi kernel, but I did test on test this on 3b+ and CM3.

Feel free to revert; I honestly thought these patches died on the vine a year or more ago.

> > In that case I would think it's fair to revert until it comes to mainline.
>
> Actually from the original commit i wasn't able to see a real benefit from the
> change. Shorter boot time?

The purpose of this commit and the previous (0a36afa) was to work around an issue with a regression in RPi firmware [0]

Since we couldn't guarantee what firmware payload was being used on an RPi or that RPF wouldn't make a similar change in the future, it was important to set the clock to something sane so mmc speeds didn't tank. The first commit in the series may have been the only necessary commit to work around the firmware regression, but I heard no negative responses on this list [1] nor on the related GH issue[2] where others tested them.

[0] https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/1619
[1] https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2021-November/465992.html
[2] https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/1619#issuecomment-931750755