TF-A Hang on NXP i.MX 8M Plus QuadLite

Marcel Ziswiler marcel.ziswiler at toradex.com
Thu Nov 2 14:55:00 CET 2023

Hi there

We recently got our first batch of i.MX 8M Plus QuadLite based SoMs. While NXP downstream works just fine on
them they just hang booting with latest upstream U-Boot (and TF-A). Replacing TF-A with the downstream NXP one
made upstream U-Boot work as well. Further debugging TF-A showed imx_gpc_pm_domain_enable() to be the culprit.
Looking more specifically I discovered the following so far downstream-only commit [1]. So it looks like in
downstream NXP is limiting the to-be-enabled power management domains to HSIOMIX, USB1_PHY and USB2_PHY.
Anybody knows why exactly this is done and why this got never upstreamed?

Thank you very much for any insights into this matter.

[1] https://github.com/nxp-imx/imx-atf/commit/47759cfca10b2286a218062915d4a280848cfc15

Cheers

Marcel