Shutting down of the git-daemon (git protocol, https and ssh still remain)

Rasmus Villemoes rasmus.villemoes at prevas.dk
Thu Jun 13 10:38:35 CEST 2024

On 13/06/2024 09.32, Claudius Heine wrote:

>> I'm just wondering if it's possible to have the server send some message
>> to the client when the git protocol is used, for some deprecation period
>> (6 months?), so a developer doing "git remote update" will get notified.
>> He would then also have a chance to propagate that to whatever local CI
>> he's responsible for, instead of only noticing when things do start
>> breaking.
>
> We are using `git-daemon` and there is a `--accept-hook` which can print
> a single line to the requestor, but only if the request is denied.
> So there doesn't seem to be a way to implement a deprecation period.

That's a pity. But perhaps, when it breaks again, you could still make
use of this to keep a stub up and running for a while: point
--accept-hook at a two-liner script that just prints a notice that the
git protocol has been disabled, what to use instead, and exit 1. That
will still be nicer than just "connection refused".

You could also point the user at some mailing list thread (this, or a
new post when you do pull the plug) with a bit more info than what can
reasonably fit in that --accept-hook message.

Rasmus