silent u-boot not working

Jonas Kvinge jonaski at opensuse.org
Thu Jun 13 15:16:58 CEST 2024

Hi,

I'm running openSUSE Tumbleweed on an RPI CM4, I'm trying to silence u-
boot boot messages, with the default configuration there is an u-boot
logo on the top right corner and boot text, I'd like to get rid of the
logo and all text if possible.
The keyboard is not working before the Linux kernel is loaded, so I can
not interrupt u-boot and enter any commands, so where should I put "set
env silent 1"?

I've followed the guide on
https://github.com/ARM-software/u-boot/blob/master/doc/README.silent

I have built u-boot from source using `make rpi_4_defconfig`
configuration modified the configuration with make menuconfig, and
verified this in .config before builing.
CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SILENT_U_BOOT_ONLY=y
CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE_UPDATE_ON_SET=y
CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE_UPDATE_ON_RELOC=y
CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE_UNTIL_ENV=y

Copied the binary to /boot/efi/u-boot.bin and /boot/vc/u-boot.bin

I've also tried to define CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS in
include/configs/rpi.h according to:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34356844/how-to-disable-serial-consolenon-kernel-in-u-boot/64583919#64583919?newreg=0df51e20b39a448094cbb70fe356e4ec
 and rebuilt and copied to binary again, still not working.

The text and logo is still present during boot, what am I doing wrong
here?

Jonas