Can U-Boot create mtdparts from device tree partition info?

Chuck Meade chuckmeade at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 23:10:16 CET 2024

Hi Alex,

On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 4:17 AM Alexander Dahl <ada at thorsis.com> wrote:

> Hello Chuck,
>
> Am Wed, Mar 06, 2024 at 11:48:39AM -0500 schrieb Chuck Meade:
> > Hello,
> >
> > In looking through the source, I'm not yet seeing logic that allows
> U-Boot
> > to actually use MTD partition information found in the device tree.  Does
> > this logic exist and I'm just missing it?  Or do I need to parse the
> device
> > tree partitions manually and create the mtdparts env variable?
>
> U-Boot can use the partition information from device tree, but not
> with mtdparts.  Try enabling CMD_MTD and run `mtd list` and you will
> see those partitions.

Thanks very much for the info.  I am using a U-Boot source tree from a
Petalinux distro, and it turns out that there has been a patch to U-Boot
since this distro was created, involving flash_node in mtdparts.c.  I was
able to incorporate this patch into the U-Boot source tree here and the
"mtd list" version now works as you described.  I can see all of the MTD
partitions from my device tree.

I appreciate your help!  Thanks,
Chuck