Is it possible to skip building the tools?

Tomás Álvarez Vanoli tomiav97 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 13:12:56 CET 2024

Hello,
I am currently working with u-boot 2024.01 and run into problems with some
of my Jenkins build agents because the Makefile attempts to build the host
tools using the host toolchain (from the OS repo) which is outdated and
fails.

The tools are already provided in my own toolchain generated with yocto and
I can ensure that they are built with the same version of u-boot.

For the case of dtc I can set the DTC environment variable to point to my
toolchain's sysroot, but for things under the tools directory there doesn't
seem to be an option to point to pre-compiled ones or to skip building.

For the moment I have patched the Makefile to remove tools as a dependency
to build u-boot.bin. Is there a more correct way of doing this or is it
possible at all?

Note: yes, updating the host toolchain would be possible but it would be
better to be able to use tools provided in my custom toolchain for
reproducibility across build agents.

Best regards,
Tomas