Upcoming Analog Devices SoC Support Submission

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Thu Mar 28 21:47:37 CET 2024

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 10:47:30PM -0400, Greg Malysa wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> I wanted to get a little bit of guidance before dumping some patches
> on the mailing list. I've been preparing to submit support we've
> developed for the Analog Devices SC5xx SoCs including both core SoC
> support and specific device trees and defconfigs for the eval kits
> available from ADI. I've submitted several small patches to touch
> various shared parts of U-Boot that we needed to extend to get this
> hardware running and to get some familiarity with using patman to
> format and submit things, but now I have a roughly 15k line changeset
> consisting of a new mach type and all of the required drivers for the
> system. It's broken down into a bunch of commits: one for the mach
> type support, one per driver we've added, and one per target board
> supported.
>
> What is the best way to submit this? Ideally I'd love to get feedback
> on individual drivers from the respective subsystem maintainers, but
> it seems rude to have a 20-element patch series that gets resubmitted
> each time feedback comes in for one component. If we break it down
> into separate patches for each piece, what would be the best way to
> ensure that all of the dependencies are merged in order?

Well, I would first make sure that CI passes for your tree. Then, make
sure that you're using OF_UPSTREAM to get your device trees as well.
Then just submit the SoC core + board (and make sure it's using plain
text environment and standard boot and so on), then start with the
additional drivers.

--
Tom