u-boot and vendor GPL non-compliance

Hal Martin hal.martin at gmail.com
Tue May 21 14:24:42 CEST 2024

Hello,

I have looked at the mailing list archives and saw that the topic of GPL
compliance has been raised before. [1]

>From my searching it doesn't seem like any of the previous threads on GPL
compliance resulted in the vendor providing the source code or any
conclusive enforcement action happening.

I own several devices from various manufacturers (Cisco, Gigabyte, Siglent)
which use u-boot and for which there was no included written offer for
source code provided with the product. I am reasonably confident the vendor
has not made the u-boot source code publicly available.

For the above vendors, the u-boot GPL source code was requested via various
channels and the request has been either ignored for an extended period of
time (12+ months) after acknowledgement of receipt, or actively declined.

I know that other open-source projects such as busybox are members of the
Software Freedom Conservancy, who represent their copyright holders when
vendors refuse to provide GPL source code. [2]

Does anything similar exist for u-boot/denx?

Kind regards,
Hal Martin

[1] https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2013-February/147191.html

[2] https://sfconservancy.org/projects/current/