My labgrid setup

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Sun Sep 1 22:09:56 CEST 2024

Hi Tom,

On Fri, 30 Aug 2024 at 08:30, Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2024 at 07:06:53PM -0600, Simon Glass wrote:
> > Hi Tom,
> >
> > On Thu, 29 Aug 2024 at 13:30, Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > So now that I've posted my u-boot-test-hooks for labgrid:
> > > https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/patch/20240829185620.3179866-1-trini@konsulko.com/
> > > the next relevant parts would be how I use that. There's three scripts,
> > > first of which is "uboot-hw-testcycle.sh" :
> > > ------------------------ >8 ------------------------
[..]
> > > ------------------------ >8 ------------------------
> > >
> > > I will say, if there's one thing I don't quite like with how my
> > > integrations with labgrid work right now it's that acquire/release is
> > > done the way it is. This is where I think Simon's adding another hook is
> > > the right direction, if there's not some other hook that can be used and
> > > I'm just missing.
> >
> > Thanks for posting this. I know you had described it but this makes a
> > lot of things clearer.
> >
> > So basically you have set up builds for the different boards and use
> > the hook scripts to write them and do the actual power/reset/console
> > munging.
>
> Yes.
>
> > How do you handle interactive build/run, e.g. to run U-Boot on a
> > particular board quickly?
>
> Well, this is the CI lab, so that's not the primary point. But control-O
> in a shell? Some platforms I have a wrapper for, some I don't.

OK. In my case I often want to try things out on particular boards, or
at least that is what I have found. Perhaps I will do that less once
gitlab is running. Anyway, my point is they use the same mechanism.

> > Also how would gitlab work?
>
> Similar to how it works in your series, but with more "make the
> container build/include firmware blobs for use", most likely.

Yes, it should be similar.

> > Re acquire/release, I added a -a option to auto-acquire the place and
> > release it afterwards. But if the console dies then so does Labgrid so
> > it doesn't release reliably...something to worry about when more
> > progress is made.
>
> Well, that's what pre/post steps are for, IMHO.

Yes that's why I added it. I think it is best to keep that, at least
until we find it never goes wrong.

Regards,
Simon