[U-Boot-Users] flash memory access

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Mar 2 00:16:24 CET 2003

In message <20030301132517.A14084 at europa.queda.net> you wrote:
> Hmm.. after more reading, I have found that in order to program _ANY_ of the
> flash on my atmel chip the following is the case:
>
>  1) the entire chip has to be erased, setting all bits to 1
>  2) any bytes can be programmed setting the bits to 0
> > I have an Atmel chip, 32Megbyts, 256 * 128K sectors.

This makes no sense. If the flash chip has 256  sectors  (aka  "erase
units"),  you  can  always  erase  each individual sector without any
influence on the other 255 sectors.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Niklaus Wirth has lamented that, whereas Europeans pronounce his name
correctly (Ni-klows Virt), Americans invariably mangle it into (Nick-
les Worth). Which is to say that Europeans  call  him  by  name,  but
Americans call him by value.