[U-Boot-Users] jffs2

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Mar 6 09:03:59 CET 2003

In message <20030306062644.GU16290 at pengutronix.de> Robert Schwebel wrote:

> I'm not sure if you read my mails from the beginning, so to avoid

I did.

> confusion here's the scenario in more detail: updates are possible in
> two states: normally the user presses a software update button during
> normal operation (running Linux), the system fetches a new single image
> (containing file system, rootfs and kernel) and flashs it to a mtd
> partition. It's no option to split this up into two pieces, so the
> kernel definitely must sit inside some real file system, which also must
> be writable during normal Linux operation.

Why must it be a filesystem?

> Is there another way to achieve this, without jffs2?

I already explained several times, and in  the  DPLG  you  will  find
explicit  examples. What's wrong with writing the downloaded image to
a raw partition like /dev/mtd2 _without_ any filesystem on it?

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
An Elephant is a mouse with an Operating System.              - Knuth