[U-Boot-Users] jffs2

Robert Schwebel r.schwebel at pengutronix.de
Thu Mar 6 09:46:14 CET 2003

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 09:03:59AM +0100, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> > confusion here's the scenario in more detail: updates are possible in
> > two states: normally the user presses a software update button during
> > normal operation (running Linux), the system fetches a new single image
> > (containing file system, rootfs and kernel) and flashs it to a mtd
> > partition. It's no option to split this up into two pieces, so the
> > kernel definitely must sit inside some real file system, which also must
> > be writable during normal Linux operation.
>
> Why must it be a filesystem?
>
> > Is there another way to achieve this, without jffs2?
>
> I already explained several times, and in  the  DPLG  you  will  find
> explicit  examples. What's wrong with writing the downloaded image to
> a raw partition like /dev/mtd2 _without_ any filesystem on it?

I have the impression that we don't really understand each other :-)

You download an image, containing a kernel, a root fs which must be
writable without having all this in a filesystem? How do you do this? I
mean, it's clear that you simply download one _image_ file of the fs
which you write to /dev/mtd/*, but what's _inside_ the image? For a raw
kernel without rootfs it's clear that you can write it to a partition
and be ready. But with rootfs? Being writable? Please excuse me, but I
seem to be too stupid to understand your.

And what is DPLG?

Robert
   Braunschweiger Str. 79,  31134 Hildesheim, Germany
    Phone: +49-5121-28619-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-28619-4