[U-Boot-Users] jffs2

Robert Schwebel robert at schwebel.de
Thu Mar 6 10:28:38 CET 2003

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:10:23AM +0100, Holger Schurig wrote:
> I assume you still know that your system could be interrupted after,
> say, flashing the first 27 flash blocks?
>
> So, a single image won't give you consistence in all circumstances.

Yes, that's why I have two identical partitions. When flashing goes
wrong you can press a button during reset and u-boot boots the old
image.

> Oh, by the way: you could stay with single image and flash various partitions
> even without overlapping partition hacks, simple cut the single image into
> peaces. Your programm could do the equivalent of:
>
> dd if=image of=/dev/mtd1 bs=x count=x skip=0
> dd if=image of=/dev/mtd2 bs=x count=y skip=x
> dd if=image of=/dev/mtd3 bs=x count=z skip=x+y

That's an idea; but you have the problem that you have to make the sizes
of the partitions fixed in the firmware. When linux-2.6 is out and the
minimum compressed kernel size is over 2 MB ;) you will be lost. With
Linux sitting in a file system it has more space to grow into...

Robert
   Braunschweiger Str. 79,  31134 Hildesheim, Germany
    Phone: +49-5121-28619-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-28619-4