[U-Boot-Users] jffs2

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Mar 6 10:34:36 CET 2003

In message <200303061010.23295.h.schurig at mn-logistik.de> you wrote:

> I assume you still know that your system could be interrupted after, say,
>
> flashing the first 27 flash blocks?
>
> So, a single image won't give you consistence in all circumstances.

Right. For secure updates you will need two alternate images,  and  a
mechanism  for  automatic  fall  back  to  the old version (typically
triggered by a watchdog to recover from a hard hang).

Note that this is _far_ more reliable that replacing files one by one
in a life filesystem. Just imagine what happens when your  update  of
libc has some problem...

> Oh, by the way: you could stay with single image and flash various partit
> ions
> even without overlapping partition hacks, simple cut the single image int
> peaces. Your programm could do the equivalent of:

I think you got it :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
PoB = "Prisoner of Bill" -- those held captive, unwillingly or other-
wise, by the contemptible Microsoft monopoly.
         -- Tom Christiansen in <6abo45$3lc$2 at csnews.cs.colorado.edu>