[U-Boot-Users] bd_info structure for kernel different from bd_info structure for u-boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 18 23:09:46 CET 2003

In message <EGEGIJHKDKJGAJMGIDPNOELCCJAA.jwalden at digitalatlantic.com> you wrote:

> In the DENX PPCBoot and Linux Guide I have found an FAQ that applies directy
> to my problem

Wow! Somebody is reading the FAQ's. This must be my lucky day :-)

> Okay - so I looked at the Board information structure for the kernel and it
> is as follows:
>
> in
> /opt/hardhat/devkit/lsp/ibm-walnut-ppc_405/linux-2.4.18_mvl30/arch/ppc/platf
> orms/walnut.h
>
> typedef struct board_info {
> 	unsigned char	 bi_s_version[4];	/* Version of this structure */
> 	unsigned char	 bi_r_version[30];	/* Version of the IBM ROM */
> 	unsigned int	 bi_memsize;		/* DRAM installed, in bytes */
> 	unsigned char	 bi_enetaddr[6];	/* Local Ethernet MAC address */
> 	unsigned char	 bi_pci_enetaddr[6];	/* PCI Ethernet MAC address */
> 	unsigned int	 bi_intfreq;		/* Processor speed, in Hz */
> 	unsigned int	 bi_busfreq;		/* PLB Bus speed, in Hz */
> 	unsigned int	 bi_pci_busfreq;	/* PCI Bus speed, in Hz */
> } bd_t;

Just replace this definition by "#include <asm/ppcboot.h>"

> They are obviously different - the question is, in order to make them the
> same how do I reconcile
> the differences?

See above.

> Why is there such a difference in these files?  Somehow I would assume that

Histeric reasons.

> u-boot would
> track along with the kernel, although this is probably an invalid
> assumption.

It's the other way round. PPCboot / U-Boot added the required fileds,
and added a compatible header file to the kernel source. If you  want
compatibility with PPCBoot / U-Boot, you will have to sue this header
file. Compare with any board config file supported by DENX.

> Does anyone have any ideas why a kernel panic is getting thrown at this
> juncture?

Because your kernel has been started with random parameters?

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for  four.  Unless
there are three other people."                         - Orson Welles