[U-Boot-Users] RE: start / load addresses for initrd

Stefan Roese stefan.roese at esd-electronics.com
Fri Mar 28 09:16:43 CET 2003

Jerry!

> > Once again - I'm making progress on bringing up Linux
> > on a custom 405GPr board using u-boot.
>
> ...which is not exactly the topic of this list.
>
> > First - I got my serial console working in Linux.
> > I did not have to use TLB's or BAT's to map
> > the memory addresses of the UART to properly initialize it.
> >
> > I simply commented out the initialization that is done in
> > /drivers/char/serial.c for the serial console.  The initialization
> > that I did in u-boot was sufficient.
>
> I don't think that was a good idea. Basicly it means that you did not
> understand what's going on,  which  is  not  a  good  base  to  build
> embedded systems on.

Please check the current implementation of the cpci405 board in the
linuxppc_2_4_devel tree (arch/ppc/platforms/cpci405.c / .h). There is a new
"cpci405_early_serial_map()" function (cloned from the evb405ep board), to
dynamically calculate BASE_BAUD from the UDIV setting. I am pretty sure,
that this is your problem!

By the way: We have all version of PPC405GP (200MHz, 266MHz) and PPC405GPr
(266MHz, 333MHz and 400MHz) running with this code!

Best regards,
Stefan.