[U-Boot-Users] Question about MPC8272 HRCW

Yuli Barcohen yuli at arabellasw.com
Wed Jun 22 12:30:37 CEST 2005

    Yuli> The problem is that you usually have to specify
    Yuli> BR0_PRELIM/OR0_PRELIM which can't refer to variables like
    Yuli> flash_info. You can initialise chip selects in the flash
    Yuli> driver if you write board-specific driver but if you use
    Yuli> common driver (CFI) things are more complicated.

    Wolfgang> Yet another reason for me to use the CFI driver, umm, only
    Wolfgang> occasionally.

Well, if a useful driver has problems, IMHO it's better to fix the
problems than to discard the driver:) I looked at many board-specific
flash drivers and many of them are clones containing all the bugs and
irrelevant code from the original versions. Of course, CFI driver needs
improvements and you've got several patches in the backlog with more
coming, but endless cloning of board-specific drivers IMHO is not a
better solution. When porting U-Boot to a new board, I find it very
useful to be able just to #define CONFIG_CFI instead of writing another
flash driver. Linux MTD handles it well and U-Boot driver is much
simpler than the Linux' one because it does not work in a multi-tasking
environment.

 Yuli Barcohen       | Phone +972-9-765-1788 |  Software Project Leader
 yuli at arabellasw.com | Fax   +972-9-765-7494 | Arabella Software, Israel