[U-Boot-Users] mkimage

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jun 28 13:04:31 CEST 2005

In message <OFAA97ED1B.93B27F93-ON4825702E.00368300 at uk.marconicomms.com> you wrote:

> [teh at ShrekII tftpboot 75]$ mkimage -l  uImage
> Image Name:   psos
> Created:      Tue Jun 28 17:53:24 2005
> Image Type:   PowerPC pSOS Kernel Image (uncompressed)
> Data Size:    593268 Bytes = 579.36 kB = 0.57 MB
> Load Address: 0x00100000
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> u-boot> tftp 100000 uImage
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This makes no sense. If U-Boot is told to copy the image to  a  "Load
Address"  of  0x00100000  you must make sure to chose such an address
when downloading that there will be no overlap.

>       It crashes when I `bootm 100000`. Here is my question. The original
> ELF executable image has the entry point at 0x00100004. After `mkimage` and

But you downloaded the image to 100000, so the  area  100000...10003F
will  be  the U-Boot image header, followed by your binary file which
is now offset by those 64 byes.

> having examined the content of the memory, I find out that the content
> which were at the original entry point has been shifted to 0x00100040.

As was to be expected. You just got what you asked for.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I am pleased to see that we have differences.  May we together become
greater than the sum of both of us.
	-- Surak of Vulcan, "The Savage Curtain", stardate 5906.4