[U-Boot-Users] ...uses hardware FP, whereas u-boot uses software FP...

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Mar 3 17:03:22 CET 2005

Dear Steven,

in message <4226F3CF.9000308 at imc-berlin.de> you wrote:

> >>/opt/crosstool/arm-softfloat-linux-gnu/gcc-3.3.3-glibc-2.3.2-linux-2.4.27/lib/gcc-lib/arm-softfloat-linux-gnu/3.3.3/libgcc.a(_divsi3.oS)
> >>uses hardware FP, whereas u-boot uses software FP

Please read this message again, and carefully.

> > This message is clear, isn't it? Your compiler  libraries  are  built
> > using hardware FP, whereas u-boot uses software FP

> So your suggesting that my glibc is built with softfloat support but not the gcc
> itself?
>
> IIUC then U-Boot does not need glibc?

I never mentioned glibc. Nor is it mentioned in  the  error  message.
The  library  in  question  is  "libgcc.a", where the compiler itself
(GCC) provides utility functions  (like  here  divsi3  to  perferm  a
signed division operation).

I repeat: Your  compiler  libraries  are  built  using  hardware  FP,
whereas u-boot uses software FP.

In other words: your toolchain is not configured as you expected.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"I like your game but we have to change the rules."