[U-Boot-Users] 8560 based board: CPM I2C, 2 DDR slots

Dig Dis digdis at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 10:09:55 CET 2006

On 12/13/06, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> In message <c733b7bd0612130759y46f05feal41b5e73442c5271 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> >
> > 1. All our I2C components (RTC, ID EEPROM, DDR EEPROM) are connected to the
> > 8560 CPM I2C controller, and not to the 8560 I2C controller. As far as I've
> > seen, U-boot only supports the 8560 hardware I2C controller. Am I correct?
> > If so, it seems that I can port the 82xx I2C driver (which is CPM based) to
> > the 85xx without too much problems, and say add a CONFIG_CPM_I2C flag for
> > this. Do you know if there's any planned support for this before I go ahead
> > with this patch?
>
> Why don't you simply use software (aka bitbanging) I2C? It's *much*
> easier, smaller, and more flexible.

Thanks. Will give it a try.

> > 2. Our board can have up to two DDR modules, whose slots have different I2C
> > addresses. It seems that spd_sdram doesn't support this (as it only
> > addresses one preconfigured I2C address). Questions are the same: Is this
> > scenario supported in U-boot; If not - is there any planned support for it?
>
> You add it?

OK. May well do it. Just to make sure: Does U-boot support any other
implementation of more than one DDR module on board, or is it
currently limited to sensing one module (wasn't sure from reading the
code)? The reason I'm asking is that this board is a pilot board, and
may change in the final stage, also based on my requirements. So - if
there's a more "standard" way to support the case of more than one
module, I can require taking it (and in the meantime live with one
module).
> > ------=_Part_150550_322248.1166025570436
>
> Please never post HTML here.
Sorry - default gmail formatting. Fixed.

Cheers,
D .