[U-Boot-Users] u-boot size reduction tips!

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Jul 16 16:43:11 CEST 2006

In message <8bf247760607150708i69d57109nd6fe6859395b0501 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

>    I tried removing the networking support.
>
>    i removed the NETWORKING related #defines in my
>    config file omap5912osk.h
>    Then i did
>          #define CONFIG_COMMANDS  (CONFIG_CMD_DFL  & ~CFG_CMD_NET)

OK.

>    Then i changed the makefiles to avoid making libnet.a

This is NOT necessary. There is never a need to modify any Makefuiles
just when changing the configurastion of a board.

>    However, on compiling i do get linker errors.

Then some of your changes were not consistent.

>    Not sure if this is way we remove the features in u-boot.

Just edit your board config file and don't enable anythign you  don't
want or need.

>    I just want a minimum bootloader + serial port:
>    which translates to:
>          1) basic bootloading
>          2) serial port driver.
>          3) Enabling serial port commands

Note that the size of the serial port vcommandslike loads,  loadb  or
loady  is  pretty  big.  You might save more space by keeping network
support and droppping the serial download commands instead.

>    How does one go about it?. Any guidelines?.
>     Any advices or pointers?.

Just edit your config file.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
This is an unauthorized cybernetic announcement.