[U-Boot-Users] Update on the fdt command

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Wed Mar 21 15:08:24 CET 2007

Hi Wolfgang, et al.,

I'm getting close to having a functional "fdt" command.  For a sneak
peek you can look here:
<http://www.cideas.us/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=u-boot/u-boot-mpc83xx;a=summary>

The new fdt command can be found here:
<http://www.cideas.us/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=u-boot/u-boot-mpc83xx;a=blob;f=common/cmd_fdt.c;h=8cce35b137f4214a2c6cbab026460b54d72bb6e0;hb=HEAD>
(see line 777 ff. to see the subcommand list).  Please critique my
subcommands - it will hurt my feelings, but I'll get over it.

Remaining improvements before it is Ready For Consideration[tm]:
* Implement mknod and the rm node/property subcommands
* Fix up the board-specific OF extensions (primarily PCI-related) to
     use libfdt instead of the current ft_build.c routines
* Add/modify a configuration #define to select between the ft_build.c
     methodology & support and the new fdt/libfdt methodology & support.
* Remove the auto-OF generation calls from the "bootm" command
   - This could be controversial: my proposal is to replace the automagic
       generation of the "chosen", "u-boot-env", and "bd_t" nodes
       currently done by the "bootm" command with explicit calls to the
       new "fdt" command.

My proposal to Wolfgang is that denx.de create a repository for my
changes so I can submit them and ultimately he can pull the changes into
the master repo.  The changes to add David Gibson's libfdt to the source
tree will be fairly large (I'm assuming too large to review as an
emailed patch).  The changes involving the new "fdt" command are more
manageable, but still will be non-trivial since the new command is 800++
lines.

Best regards,
gvb