[U-Boot-Users] Temperature sensor on Sequoia board

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Sat Feb 23 08:16:35 CET 2008

On Thursday 21 February 2008, Mike Nuss wrote:
> > When I was checking the LM75/AD7414 driver using my Sequoia board, I
> > found that the AD7414 on the Sequoia does not appear to update its
> > temperature as its documentation describes.  I had to reset U-Boot to
> > get the temperature reading to change.  Also, every since I have had
> > that board, the first temperature reading reported by U-Boot after
> > applying power has always been incorrect.  I didn't find anything in
> > the AD7414 documentation that would explain this.
> >
> > Has anyone seen this behavior on other Sequoia boards?

Yes. I've seen this before, but forgot to take care of it.

> Yes. In my experience, the reason the first reading is often incorrect is
> simply because the monitoring can take a little time to start. I've seen
> the same behavior on the adm1026 and adt7462 also.

No. IIRC, then reading the temperatures starts working correctly after writing
to the I2C device. So a simple "iprobe" will get it working. This is no
solution of course.

> I definitely see temperature updates using the Linux driver for ad7414 on
> Sequoia, but in U-Boot I wouldn't expect it to change much anyway.

Yes, it works in Linux all the time, since Linux does an probe of the I2C
devices itself. But we should really fix this in U-Boot too. Greatly
appreciated, if somebody would take care of this issue. :)

Thanks.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de