[U-Boot-Users] U-boot and Mathematical Library

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Tue Jul 29 10:57:27 CEST 2008

Vincenzo Scianni a écrit :
> Hi to everyone.
>
> I have a general question: my need is to use u-boot to initialize a
> PowerPC 5123 and then to continue with a custom kernel without Linux.
> The problem is that during initialization I must drive very early a
> graphical controller by PCI to show some logos and I need of
> mathematical library;

What kind of logo display requires math? You're going to display a
bitmap probably, so the only math involved would be integer arithmetic,
I think. And if you have a logo in vector form, then you can convert it
to bitmap (adapted to your FB format) offline and link the bitmap from,
not the vector, in u-boot.

> I suspect that u-boot doesn't support any.

I suspect you're right.

> First question there exist one compatible with u-boot ?

Don't know.

> In your opinion  is it possible to follow idea of import a mathematical
 > library to boot and draw something and after continue with a custom
 > kernel ?

No reason why you could not; but I think that's a waste of FLASH and
cycles, and you'd be better of turning your logo into a simple bitmap
format that u-boot possibly already understands.

> There is some
> deep technical reason to load a Linux kernel and then plot a logo ?

No reason for this, but again, no reason (that I can see from your
description) that you'd need math in the first place. Can you elaborate
on the reason that makes you need math onboard rather than off-board?

Amicalement,
--
Albert.