[U-Boot] Enabling smc911x driver

Steve Sakoman sakoman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 06:20:15 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Steve Sakoman <sakoman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Daniel Mack <daniel at caiaq.de> wrote:
>
>>> How did you set this MAC address? Does the hardware read it from a
>>> connected EEPROM or did you manually set it in your environment.
>
> It is manually set in the environment since the prototype hardware
> doesn't have the eeprom.
>
>>> If you
>>> face the latter case, you could try applying the patch I sent in some
>>> days ago. Without that patch, the hardware is not made aware of the
>>> configured address and hence the internal filter will drop all
>>> non-broadcast packets it receives.
>
> Applying the patch helped a great deal:
>
> Overo # ping 192.168.0.1
> smc911x: initializing
> smc911x: detected LAN9221 controller
> smc911x: phy initialized
> smc911x: MAC 4a:18:56:55:9d:38
> host 192.168.0.1 is alive
>
> Attempting dhcp still fails, but this is a big step forward.

As a next step I attempted to load a file via tftp.  This works fine
if the file is <= 544 bytes in length:

Overo # tftp test.txt
smc911x: initializing
smc911x: detected LAN9221 controller
smc911x: phy initialized
smc911x: MAC aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
TFTP from server 192.168.0.210; our IP address is 192.168.0.223
Filename 'test.txt'.
Load address: 0x82000000
done
Bytes transferred = 544 (220 hex)

Files longer that 544 bytes result in a timeout error:

Overo # tftp test.txt
smc911x: initializing
smc911x: detected LAN9221 controller
smc911x: phy initialized
smc911x: MAC aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
TFTP from server 192.168.0.210; our IP address is 192.168.0.223
Filename 'test.txt'.
Load address: 0x82000000
Retry count exceeded; starting again

Any ideas what might be going wrong here?

Steve