[U-Boot] U-Boot 1.1.6 and Marvell 88E1116 RGMII operations

Ray Fogg ray at tyzx.com
Fri Feb 27 02:45:08 CET 2009

My company is in the process of bringing up a new MPC8347-based product.  A
previous product utilized the same processor and a 100mbit GMII PHY and ran
with U-Boot 1.1.6.  The new board utilizes a Marvell 88E1116 PHY, and to
keep things as simple as possible and to stay with the same Linux kernel
that we have used, we are trying to stay with 1.1.6.
We appear to recognize the PHY correctly, and achieve link.   We can place
the PHY in packet generation mode and see that it properly sends data out
the cable.  But a ping command from U-Boot results in no traffic on the
cable, leading us to the suspicion that the MAC is not properly set up in
RGMII mode.

We note that the newest release of U-Boot supports the Marvell 88E1118 PHY,
which uses the same die as the 88E1116.

Our question is:  has anyone made the 88E1116 or the 88E1118 work using
U-Boot version 1.1.6, or are there any suggestions on making this work?

--
Ray Fogg
Tyzx, Inc