[U-Boot] Unable to boot Linux Kernel on Media5200

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Oct 4 23:00:39 CEST 2009

Dear Christopher Beley,

In message <4AC8FB3E.3050609 at wisc.edu> you wrote:

> setenv bootargs console=ttyPSC5,115200 root=/dev/nfs rw
> nfsroot=$(serverip):$(rootpath)
> tftp 900000 /tftpboot/media5200.dtb
> tftp 500000 /tftpboot/uImage
> bootm 500000 - 900000
>
> However, after it uncompresses the kernel I get:

> Bad Magic Number

That means that you are running a very, very old version of U-Boot
which does not incorporate any device tree support at all.

> However, I do not have/want a RAMDisk and according to the FAQ I should
> just be able to use a - to say I don't have one (since I need to specify
> in the third argument the address of the dtb).  Any idea what I could be
> doing wrong?  I guess I could always create a dummy ram disk and see if
> it works...but...I shouldn't have to do that.

No, this is not needed. The problem here is that your old U-Boot does
not know about the thre argument  version  of  "bootm",  and  neither
knows  how  to  deal  with  the secoind argument of '-' - it tries to
convert it into a ramdisk address, which  reasults  in  the  :Loading
RAMDisk Image at 00000000" message, which fails.

> Also, more for curiosities sake, but I'm a little confused why I don't
> need to upload a dtb when using the kernel freescale supplies and many
> of the instructions I see online for different boards make no mention of

This is probably ancient code from the Stone Age as well, where the
Device Tree was not invented yet.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Quantum Mechanics is God's version of "Trust me."