[U-Boot] Unable to boot Linux Kernel on Media5200

Christopher Beley cbeley at wisc.edu
Sun Oct 4 21:45:02 CEST 2009

Hi,

Thanks for the response.  I think that was it and also, I now see I
missed the FAQ that was similar to my question.  Sorry for not noticing
that.

Anyway, I haven't gotten things working just yet though.  I try to do
(for example):

setenv bootargs console=ttyPSC5,115200 root=/dev/nfs rw
nfsroot=$(serverip):$(rootpath)
tftp 900000 /tftpboot/media5200.dtb
tftp 500000 /tftpboot/uImage
bootm 500000 - 900000

However, after it uncompresses the kernel I get:

Bad Magic Number

However, I do not have/want a RAMDisk and according to the FAQ I should
just be able to use a - to say I don't have one (since I need to specify
in the third argument the address of the dtb).  Any idea what I could be
doing wrong?  I guess I could always create a dummy ram disk and see if
it works...but...I shouldn't have to do that.

Also, more for curiosities sake, but I'm a little confused why I don't
need to upload a dtb when using the kernel freescale supplies and many
of the instructions I see online for different boards make no mention of
the dtb.  Is it just that the dtb is being appened to the end of the
kernel image in those cases maybe?

Thanks,
Chris