[U-Boot] Unable to boot Linux Kernel on Media5200

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Oct 4 01:35:37 CEST 2009

Dear Christopher Beley,

In message <4AC7ADA4.2080404 at wisc.edu> you wrote:

> I'm trying to gentoo running on the Media5200 but am running into issues
> getting my kernel to boot.  I am able to boot the kernel that came with
> freescale's BSP for the device, but when I boot my kernel things stall
> after Uncompressing Kernel Image:
>
> ## Booting image at 00400000 ...
>    Image Name:   Linux-2.6.30-mpc52xx
>    Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
>    Data Size:    2315154 Bytes =  2.2 MB
>    Load Address: 00000000
>    Entry Point:  00000000
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
>    Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK

I don't see any message about loading the device tree blob here?

> I'm not completely sure why my kernel isn't booting while freescale's is.  I should have all the correct drivers enabled, but after uncompress kernel Image nothing shows up in the console or on screen (the freescale logo/u-boot screen stays on the scree
> n though).  I tried increasing the starting address for kicks, but that made no differnce.  I also tried doing something like:

Maybe you are using different image types?

> tftp 400000; bootm 400000
>
> but that gave me the same results as well.
>
> Yes, I am using uImage and not cuImage.

With uImage, you need to load the device tree as well and pass it's
address as argument to bootm .

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"If the code and  the  comments  disagree,  then  both  are  probably
wrong."                                                - Norm Schryer