[U-Boot] Unable to boot Linux Kernel on Media5200

Christopher Beley cbeley at wisc.edu
Sat Oct 3 22:01:40 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to gentoo running on the Media5200 but am running into issues
getting my kernel to boot.  I am able to boot the kernel that came with
freescale's BSP for the device, but when I boot my kernel things stall
after Uncompressing Kernel Image:

## Booting image at 00400000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-2.6.30-mpc52xx
   Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    2315154 Bytes =  2.2 MB
   Load Address: 00000000
   Entry Point:  00000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK

I'm not completely sure why my kernel isn't booting while freescale's is.  I should have all the correct drivers enabled, but after uncompress kernel Image nothing shows up in the console or on screen (the freescale logo/u-boot screen stays on the screen though).  I tried increasing the starting address for kicks, but that made no differnce.  I also tried doing something like:

tftp 400000; bootm 400000

but that gave me the same results as well.

Yes, I am using uImage and not cuImage.

When I compile my kernel I issue:

make ARCH="powerpc" CROSS_COMPILE="powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu-"
INSTALL_MOD_PATH="${SYSROOT}" "$@" EXTRAVERSION=-mpc52xx uImage