[U-Boot] Preserving frame buffer memory between uboot and Linux

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Oct 5 16:15:31 CEST 2009

Dear Steven Zedeck,

In message <25751508.post at talk.nabble.com> you wrote:

[Full quote deleted]

It was probably not necessary to quote my full message, including
signature and everything. Please see

> I don't understand how to set this variable in my specific configuration
> file.

Check where U-Boot allocates the FB (should be top of RAM, but the ARM
implementation of U-Boot does so many things wrong), and figure a way
to pass this to the kernel.

> I did, however, see this in atmel_lcdfb.c:
> map = platform_get_resource(pdev, IORESOURCE_MEM,1);
> if (map)
> {
>    /* use a pre-allocated memory buffer (/

I have no idea how this is implemented for AT91, for example,m how
the boot loader communicates the FB address to Linux.

> Isn't this what I need to be concerned about? If so, what do I need to do un
> Uboot to make this take effect?

Well, check who wrote that driver resp. who is to (git-) blame for
that code, and ask him how this is supposed to work.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Memories of you remind me of you.                   - Karl Lehenbauer