[U-Boot] Using fw_setenv from Linux

Rahanesh rahanesh at tataelxsi.co.in
Tue Oct 6 12:00:47 CEST 2009

Dear Wolfagng,
Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Rahanesh,
>
> In message <4ACAEEA9.1020602 at tataelxsi.co.in> you wrote:
>
>> But when i type the command fw_printenv i get the following message first
>>
>> "*Read error on /dev/mtd1: Success*"
>> then u-boot environment variables are printed.
>>

> I gave up trying to reply to your questions. You supply _zero_
> information. We don't know which board this is, which exact version
> of U-Boot you are running on it, which modifications you made to the
> code you are running, how you configured and built U-Boot for this
> board, what the MTD configuration in your Linux kernel is, nor how
> you set up the fw_env configuration file, etc. etc. etc.

    I am trying to give as much information as possible.

    This is mips processor based A100 board. Uboot version is uboot 1.2.
There are no modifications  to u-boot code as such.
    These are the MTD configurations in Linux kernel.
    MTD0 -  Firmware + U-Boot +  Environment variables of u-boot
    MTD1-   JFFS (Linux + Apps)
    MTD1 - CONFIG

    fw_env.config file  is shown below

    # MTD device name   Device offset   Env. size   Flash sector size
Number of sectors
     /dev/mtd0                  0x3F000         0x1000      0x1000

    When i use this configuration file  i am able to see all environment
variables from Linux. even setting Environment variables also was success.

    But when i reboot the system to see the modified changes i get a
boot failed message.

 Thanks
Rahanesh