[U-Boot] Using fw_setenv from Linux

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Oct 6 12:37:18 CEST 2009

Dear Rahanesh,

In message <4ACB154F.7000805 at tataelxsi.co.in> you wrote:

> > I gave up trying to reply to your questions. You supply _zero_
> > information. We don't know which board this is, which exact version
> > of U-Boot you are running on it, which modifications you made to the
> > code you are running, how you configured and built U-Boot for this
> > board, what the MTD configuration in your Linux kernel is, nor how
> > you set up the fw_env configuration file, etc. etc. etc.
> >
>     I am trying to give as much information as possible.
>
>     This is mips processor based A100 board. Uboot version is uboot 1.2.
> There are no modifications  to u-boot code as such.

Yes, of course there are. You mentioned (and profed this by showing
debug messages) that you were using some file 'sflash.c' which
definitly is NOT part of the mainline U-Boot code.

>     When i use this configuration file  i am able to see all environment
> variables from Linux. even setting Environment variables also was success.
>
>     But when i reboot the system to see the modified changes i get a
> boot failed message.

You cannot say "setting Environment variables also was success", then,
if it actually corrupts your flash.

Sorry, we cannot help you. Please use a current version.

Note that this is my very last message to you on this topic.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
It is impractical for  the  standard  to  attempt  to  constrain  the
behavior  of code that does not obey the constraints of the standard.
                                                          - Doug Gwyn