[U-Boot] Running u-boot without relocation to RAM?

Jerry Van Baren gvb.uboot at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 04:40:57 CEST 2009

alfred steele wrote:
>> So is it possible to completly disable the relocation process at startup and run U-Boot with having opcode in PROM and data in RAM? If yes, how could I achieve this?
>>
>> I already tried to remove the corresponding code in the start.S and searched the README for switches, but without success.
> Did you try the "CONFIG_SKIP_RELOCATE_UBOOT" ? I am not sure if it
> serves your purpose here. It depends upon whether or not your
> "start.S" uses it at all.
>
> -Alfred

Tobias can try CONFIG_SKIP_RELOCATE_UBOOT, but it isn't likely to work
as is.  That flag is to configure u-boot to be loaded directly into RAM
and run out of RAM (i.e. no relocation from flash to RAM).  U-Boot was
not designed to run from flash (aka. XIP - eXecute In Place) and nobody
has done that as far as I know.

That doesn't mean u-boot cannot run XIP, it means that it will take an
unknown amount of effort to make it happen.

gvb