[U-Boot] blank line repeats last command

Frank Svendsbøe frank.svendsboe at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 20:48:06 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Jerry Van Baren <gerald.vanbaren at ge.com> wrote:
> David Collier wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> For my money, I'd want to see what I'd repeated, so I'd have been happy
>> to have to use up-arrow, enter, rather then just enter.
>>
>> But my views don't always prevail.

> Command repeating predates the implementation of command line history
> and works even if you don't have command line editing / history enabled.
>
> Also, on commands like memory display, it auto-advances the address so
> that you can hit <return> multiple times to see the next chunk of
> memory.  Command history requires you to edit the address manually to
> get the next chunk.  (FWIIW, I would be happy to see most command
> repeats turned off, but memory display auto-advance is really nice.)

I partly agree with David Collier on this matter. Before I discovered
this was a feature,
I was sure this was a bug, but I understand some of you reasoning..
just not all. For instance,
I can understand why it's handy when dumping memory, but what's the
rationale behind
having 'cp.b' repeating? It's annoying when writing large files to
slow (NOR) flash.

Best regards,
Frank