[U-Boot] NFS boot problems !

Jerry Van Baren gvb.uboot at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 16:39:02 CEST 2009

Cristian Axenie wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Jerry Van Baren <gvb.uboot at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Cristian Axenie wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all !

[snip]

>>  My problem is that when I
>>> run bootcmd
>>>
>>> I get :
>>>
>>> Speed: 100, full duplex
>>> Using eTSEC0 device
>>> TFTP from server 192.168.1.103; our IP address is 192.168.1.100
>>> Filename '/home/haustiq/development/uImage'.
>>>
>> This does *NOT* look like a valid path.  TFTP servers typically serve out
>> of a dedicated directory (often /tftpboot) and the paths to the files are
>> usually relative to the root folder.
>
> But if I changed the directory to the one mentioned before in the
> /etc/inetd.conf and didn't used /tftpboot ?

The TFTP protocol has *NO* security, so changing the root folder to a
subdirectory your home directory is *NOT* a good practice.

The tftp server very likely doesn't have read permission to read the
directory you set it to.  Your /home directory is probably not
world-readable.  Setting it to be world readable is not a good practice.
  This will probably "fix" your problem, but IS A BAD PRACTICE:
   chmod -R o+r /home/haustiq

You need to configure your tftp server properly.

DO THIS:

>> Do a "tftp get" from a computer, preferably not your tftp server computer,
>> to figure out your TFTP server path and file names before trying to TFTP
>> from u-boot.
>>
>> If you run stuck, use wireshark on your server to see what is going on on
>> the wire.

[snip]

Best regards,
gvb