[U-Boot] about ## Unknown FLASH on Bank 0

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Oct 26 20:14:44 CET 2009

Dear Peter Pan,

In message <48abf2c20910251922o7251d876hebfedc6aed5b8c03 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> My U-boot 1.2.0 works fine before. but I want to add some memory test
> actions before u-boot start Linux.
> I use the "mtest" command to test the memory. But the "mtest" command will
> test the memory infinitely.
> So, I change the /common/cmd_mem.c, and do the following change:

Instead of hacking ancient code in incompatible ways I recommend you
to update and use curent code. Ther the "mtest" command takes an
optional 4th argument which defines the number of iterations.

Also please note that "mtest" is not really optimal for a memory test
unless you #define CONFIG_SYS_ALT_MEMTEST.

And finally it might be worth to look into the memory test facilities
that are part of the POST implementation instead.

> But after I cross-compile the u-boot, the "Unknown FLASH" happens:
>
> FLASH: ## Unknown FLASH on Bank 0
> ## Unknown FLASH on Bank 0 - Siz= 0x00000000 = 0 MB
> *** failed ***
> ### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

Well, this is obviouly completely unrelated to the changes you
describe, so you must have changed other things, too, if the code was
working before,

> Anybody get any idea?

Ancient, completely unsupported code. Please update.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"You'll pay to know what you really think."        - J.R. "Bob" Dobbs