[U-Boot] U-Boot can't read ext2 filesystem created by Fedora 11

Mike Cruse mcruse at definium.net
Tue Oct 27 23:34:01 CET 2009

Hi,

I am currently going through the bring up of a Freescale MPC8536 based
system. We use a SATA hard drive to boot from.

I seem to have a problem reading ext2 filesystems created on a Fedora 11
system. I have checked the FAQ for something related to this.

If I create the filesystem on the 8536 eval system everything seems to
work fine. However if I create an ext2 filesystem on my desktop (F11)
with mkfs.ext2 then U-Boot cannot read anything. Below are some examples
of the responses I get. I am using a Freescale patched U-Boot version
2009.03-rc1.

Regardless of where I created the filesystem it always shows up as ext2
on my desktop.

Any pointers or clues?

Thanks,

Mike

=> sata init
SATA0 (1.5 Gbps)
       SATA1 (No RDY)

=> sata part

Partition Map for SATA device 0  --   Partition Type: DOS

Partition     Start Sector     Num Sectors     Type
    1                   63        38555937      83
    2             38556000        38556000      83
    3             77112000        40098240      83

=> ext2ls sata 0:1 /boot
** Can not find directory. **
** Error ext2fs_ls() **

=> ext2ls sata 0:1 /