[U-Boot] U-boot SPL direct Linux boot

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Fri Jul 1 15:28:57 CEST 2011

Hi Simon,

> Ok, topic ATAGS:
> I see three ways doing ATAGS init for SPL:
> 1. use bootm.c which means init bd correctly and add a bunch of #ifdef
> CONFIG_PRELOADER to it - maybe also to some others i don't have on the
> radar yet.
> 2. Have ATAGS config in board config file and init it at compile time
> 3. Doing it like Heiko and copy the ATAGS config done by u-boot
>
> My favourite here is number 2 because it would be faster than  1 and
> won't take so much work and won't clutter the standard u-boot code
> with #ifdefs. Also it is simpler to use than 3. the downside is that
> the section for ATAGS config would be huge and the code could diverge
> over time...
>
> Comments?

Just a probably dumb side question, but will ATAGS be deprecated once we
have the flat device tree also on ARM?  As I understand, fdt is certainly
the way to go forward, so maybe we can already start with that?  In that
case, the fdt blob will be another binary blob to be passed to the
kernel and as such should be independant of U-Boot.  So ideally in
U-Boot we have a pointer to the fdt but the fdt itself can be updated
independantly.

Just a thought.
  Detlev

--
When you  loosen yourself from  all the obvious delusions  - religion,
ideology,  Communism - you're  still left  with the  myth of  your own